THINKING ABOUT THE ISSUES
This weeks activity asks you to think about the issues that Studs Terkel is presenting
through the interviews in his book, American Dreams, American Voices. You will begin by
reading an interview that was conducted by a student studying Terkel's book. Then you will
write about your views on some of the issues brought up in this interview.
- Begin by reading the interview at http://www.zcs.k12.in.us/zchs/Staff/drodgers/adanonman.htm
- Take notes on the interview.
- In your notes, list the various issues that the interviewee brings up.
- Choose one of the issues that you have listed and write several paragraphs in which you
present your reactions to this issue. Do you agree with what the interviewee has to say on this
issue? Explain why or why not.
- Now go to the Search Resources page of our web site to find additional resources on the
issue you have chosen. Find at least 2 resources.
- Using the Internet resources and your reaction paragraphs, compose a well-organized essay
in which you DESCRIBE AND RESPOND to the issue, discussing problems and possible
solutions. Be sure to SUGGEST POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEM, and explain why you
believe these solutions might work.
Return to the College Now English BW Home Page
Web page created by Dr. Loretta Kasper
Professor of English
This page was last updated on
May 10, 2004