"Living the Life" Part Two from American Dreams: Lost and Found by Studs Terkel
Prepared by Dr. Loretta Kasper
In this week's assignment, you will continue exploring the themes presented in Chapter Four, "Living the Life." This week's assignment has TWO parts.
Begin with Livelihood: Working Family Trends from the PBS.org site.
To complete your research, you should go to our SEARCH PAGE. We suggest that you use either the Vivisimo or the Google search engine to do your research.
- Type in the phrase (working women and the changing family structure)
Be sure to put the parentheses around the phrase.
- Choose three hits from your search. Read and take notes on each of the three texts you find.
Here are your research issues and questions:
- Based on your research, what are some of the effects of women working on the structure of the family?
- Have the effects of women working been good or bad for the American family?
- What types of compromises or changes have been necessary in the modern family?
- Read the article Positive Effects of Working Mothers from USA Today.
- Based on your own experience or your observation of others, do you agree with the findings of the study in terms of:
- parenting styles
- treatment and expectations of sons versus daugthers
- discipline styles
- division of household tasks
- the overall conclusion of the study
- Write several paragraphs in which you comment on the study and its findings. Be sure to address each of the points listed above.