"Living the Life" from American Dreams: Lost and Found by Studs Terkel
Prepared by Dr. Loretta Kasper
In this week's assignment, you will explore the themes presented in Chapter Four, "Living the Life."
In "Living the Life," Linda Haas talks about the influence of family on the development of the individual. The family places a very important role in helping us discover who and what we are. This week you will explore the role of the family in greater detail.
Begin with the site, Livelihood's "Working Family Values" from PBS.org.
- This site contains links to description of four different families. Choose TWO of these links.
- Read and take notes on the texts on the linked pages.
- Provide possible answers to the questions posed on these pages. Describe the results, in other words, what would each person's daily life consist of, given your answers.
- If you had to give advice to the two families you have chosen, what would that advice be. Write several paragraphs describing the conversations you might have with each family.
- Be sure to familiarize yourself with the Glossary of Terms and be sure to use at least THREE of these terms in your written response.